What you always wanted to know but did not know until right now about Yoalin:
Information missing? Let us know!
1. What’s Yoalin?
With Yoalin, CIPRA International and CIPRA’s Youth Council CYC want to promote a more climate-friendly, conscious and affordable mobility in the Alps. The first edition was carried out in Summer 2018. Every summer since, it has enabled 100+ young people annually to travel sustainably across the Alps by means of public transport.
Are you wondering, what or who CIPRA is? We are a non-governmental, non-profit, umbrella organisation committed to the protection and sustainable development of the Alps. We carry out projects on many different topics, do political work and a lot of networking with others initiatives, organisations and people in and around the Alpine region. > www.cipra.org
2. What’s happening in 2023?
Travel enthusiasts between the ages of 18 and 27 can apply from April 1st to May 26th for 150 “Yoalin tickets”. “Yoalin tickets” consist of a mobile version of the Interrail Global Pass (worth 264.- euros), with which they can travel 7 days within 1 month. They also get a series of other benefits, such as:
- Invitation to the kick-off event in Bohinj/SL in June(travel costs and overnight stay are covered)
- Invitation to the final event in Bern/CH in october (travel costs and overnight stay are covered)
- Invitations to three smaller Hub-Events to get to know each other, exchange ideas and make contacts (have to be reached with your Yoalin ticket, costs are not covered)
- Access to the Yoalin community. There you find not only travellers from this year, but also active people from past editions who are still involved in the project. We all have collected helpful tips and special destinations, which are available on this website and shared on social media. The community also exchanges on Slack, so you can ask questions there, find travel buddies and so on.
- Access internal “Hospitality List”, where past Yoalin participants are available to act as travel guides or hiking companions in their region.
The program also includes a photo and story contest, and the selected travelers receive little helpful and sustainable gadgets for their journey.
3. What are the criterias and requirements for the application?
- be between 18 and 27 years of age
- be open to new adventures and international exchange
- be interested in sustainable topics
- live in the Alps
- be first-time-Yoalins: If you already received a Yoalin ticket in the past editions, your candidacy won’t be re-considered
The minimum requirements are:
- pay a fee of 50 Euros (see point 4.)
- take part in the kick-off event on June 23-25th 2023 in Bohinj/SL and/or the final event in October in Bern/CH if possible
- share 3 pictures and the main destinations of your journey on Slack (our internal communication tool)
- fill in the evaluation at the end of the project in October
4. What are my duties as a “Yoalin”?
Once selected as Yoalin traveller, you will be asked to transfer a fee of 50 Euro to our bank account, this is a guarantee for us, that you want to take part in YOALIN. So you pay 50 euros and receive an official Interrail Global Pass worth € 264.- (you will not get the 50.- Euros back!).
We would appreciate, if you:
- use your Interrail Global Pass before the final event in October 2023 to discover the Alps
- engage in the Yoalin-community on Social Media and on Slack
- use all means of sutainable transport – trains, busses, bikes, your feet…
- reflect on the (ecological) footprint, you leave where you travel to and try to keep it small. Find some ideas here under “Travelling”
5. How can I apply?
Fill out the application form and keep your fingers crossed! Our Yoalin-jury, consisting of so called Yoalin ambassadors (former Yoalin travellers), will choose 150 people from all the applicants. They will be notified by email by the beginning of June.
6. What about travelling with friends?
You can only apply for one ”Yoalin ticket”. If you want to travel in pairs or a group, each person has to fill out the form. You can mention your companion(s) there, the jury will consider this!
7. What else should I know?
We ask you to stay within the Alpine countries (Monaco, France, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein, Switzerland) and discover this beautiful region. Get some hints under our “Places to see” or the Stories from other Yoalins.
By the way: Sustainable, slow mobility is gaining momentum. This summer is the right time to (re)discover the bike! So travel across the Alps on two wheels, you can use the Yoalin ticket also to get your bike on the train.
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us!