What you always wanted to know but did not know until right now about Yoalin:
Information missing? Let us know!
1. What’s Yoalin?
With Yoalin, CIPRA International and CIPRA’s Youth Council CYC want to promote a more climate-friendly, conscious and affordable mobility in the Alps.The first edition was carried out in Summer 2018 and it enables since then 100 selected young people to travel sustainably across the Alps by means of public transport in the summertime.
2. What’s happening in 2021?
Travel enthusiasts between the ages of 18 and 27 can apply for 100 “Yoalin tickets” until May 7, 2021. “Yoalin tickets” consist of rail vouchers worth 200 euros and a series of other benefits, such as an invitation to a virtual kick-off event on 14th June to get to know each other, exchange ideas and make contacts. Furthermore, it gives access to the Yoalin community of the past years, still involved in the project. It has collected helpful tips and special destinations, which are available on this website and shared on social media. On an internal “hospitality list”, some Yoalins are available to act as travel guides or hiking companions in their or their region. The best photos and stories of the travellers are also awarded in a competition. The 100 selected travellers will receive little helpful and sustainable gadgets for their journey. A final event scheduled in September will conclude the 2021’s edition of Yoalin.
3. What are the criterias for the application?
- be between 18 and 27 years of age
- be open to new adventures and international exchange
- be interested in sustainable topics
- live in the Alps
- be first-time-Yoalins: If you already received a Yoalin ticket in the past editions, your candidacy won’t be re-considered
4. What are my duties as a “Yoalin”?
Once selected as Yoalin traveller, you will be asked to transfer 50 Euro to our bank account as a guarantee. So you pay 50 euros and receive a voucher of 250 Euro (= 200 Euro gift for you).
- use your railway voucher in summer 2021 to discover the Alps, or your region (depending on Covid-19-rules)
- take part in the virtual kick-off event on June 14th 2021 and the final event (date to be defined)
- engage in the Yoalin-community on Social Media
- follow all Covid-19 regulations! Travellers are responsible for themselves, CIPRA International as the project organiser assumes no liability for them.
- use all means of sutainable transport – trains, busses, bikes, your feet…
- reflect on the (ecological) footprint, you leave where you travel to and try to keep it small. Find some ideas here under “Travelling”
5. How can I apply?
Fill out the application form and keep your fingers crossed! Our Yoalin-jury will choose 100 people from all the applicants. They will be notified by email.
6. What about travelling with friends?
You can only apply for one ”Yoalin ticket”. If you want to travel in pairs or a group, each person has to fill out the form. You can mention your companion(s) there, the jury will consider this.
7. What else should I know?
Of course, should the current Covid-19-regulations allow unrestricted travelling through the Alps, you can use your voucher to purchase a regular Interrail Pass. We ask you to stay within the Alpine countries (Monaco, France, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein, Switzerland) and discover this beautiful region. Get some hints under our “Places to see” or the Stories from other Yoalins.
By the way: Sustainable, slow mobility is gaining momentum. This summer is the right time to (re)discover the bike! So travel across the Alps on two wheels, you can use the Yoalin ticket also to get your bike on the train.